Answer each question by selecting the correct blue button. Only the first answer selected is graded.
1. Base your answer to the following question on the graph below which represents the discharge of a stream at a location that has little temperature change throughout the year. Which local water budget variable best accounts for the peaks in the graph?
B. moisture deficit
C. actual evapotranspiration
D. potential evapotranspiration
2. A water budget for a city is shown below. During which month did this city have a soil moisture deficit?
3. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the diagram and table below. The diagram shows a cross section of a solar-energy collection system constructed as a portion of a wall of a house. It consists of an energy-absorbing surface, a clear glass covering, and air ducts through the wall into the house. The table gives the house temperatures during a spring day. No other heat source is available for the house. For maximum absorption of solar radiation, the energy-absorbing surface should be:
4. Which two gases in Earth's atmosphere are believed by scientists
to be greenhouse gases that are major contributors to global warming?
A. smooth and light colored
B. smooth and dark colored
C. rough and light colored
D. rough and dark colored
5. The diagram below represents the path of visible light as it travels from air to water to air through a glass container of water. The light did not travel in a straight line because of:
6. Which part of the solar electromagnetic spectrum has the maximum
8. Base your answer to the following question on the diagram below. The diagram shows the apparent paths of the Sun at the beginning of each season for an observer at a location in New York State. What is the time interval from the Sun's apparent path A to the Sun's apparent path C?
9. Which is most important in determining the amount of ground
water that can be stored within a rock?
A. 1 day
B. 1 month
C. 6 months
D. 12 months
10. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the diagrams shown below. The diagrams represent cross sections of four samples of loosely packed, uniformly sorted soil particles. The diameter of the particles is given below each diagram. All soil samples consist of solid spherical particles. Sample D will have the greatest capillarity because it:
A. has the smallest surface area
B. has the smallest particles
C. is the most loosely packed
D. is weathering the most rapidly