1. The law of uniformatarianism is an important tool for geologist's to determine
the detective work associated with plate tectonics. From field observations
scientist's try to figure out the many complex puzzles of Earth's history.
Which statement supports the law of uniformitarianism?:
Mountains always stay at the same elevation
Processes that changed the Earth a long time ago, no longer exist
Fossil evidence shows that liquid water only appeared on Earth's surface in
the last 50 million years
Processes that shape the Earth today are the same processes that occurred
in the geologic past
2. Fossils exist only in what type of rock?
3. The law of superposition of undisturbed rock layers states:
rock layers on the bottom are the youngest
rock layers on the top are the youngest
the youngest rock layers are in the middle
the oldest rock layers are in the middle
4. The correlation of dated index fossils has lead geologist determine the
geologic time scale. Which fossil is the oldest and would be found on the
lowest horizontal sedimentary rock layer?
5. A recently discovered mastodont's skull was determined to contain 1/8
of its original carbon-14. How old is the skull?