Answer each question by selecting the correct blue button. Only the first answer selected is graded.1. Which type of rock is most commonly found as an outcrop in the Allegheny Plateau in New York State?
2. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the block diagrams below, which represent three widely separated outcrops. All rock layers are sedimentary. No overturning has occurred. Layers labeled with the same letter are the same age. Which order of events occured at the Hiltonia Outcrop between the formation of layer F and the beginning of the deposition of layer H?
3. The diagrams below show the sequence of events that formed sedimentary rock layers A,B,C and D. The sequence of events that best illustrates the:
A. formation of a buried erosional surface (Unconformity)
B. movement of rock layers along a fault between layers B and D.
C. overturning of rock layers
D. metamorphism of sandstone (layer B) into quartzite
4. Base your answer to the following question on the geologic cross section below. Overturning has not occurred. The dike and sills shown in the cross section are igneous intrusions. Which feature is represented by symbol A along the edges of the dike and sills?
A. contact metamorphic rock
B. an unconformity
C. a glacial moraine
D. index fossils
5. The diagrams below represent two different geologic cross sections in which an igneous formation is found in sedimentary bedrock layers. The layers have not been overturned. Which statement best describes the relative age of each igneous formation compared to the overlying sandstone bedrock?
A. In a, the igneous rock is younger than the sandstone and in B, the igneous rock is older than the sandstone.
B. In A, the igneous rock is older than the sandstone and in B, the igneous rock layer is younger than the sandstone.
C. In both A and B, the igneous rock is younger than the sandstone.
D. In both A and B, the igneous rock is older than the sandstone.
6. A geologic cross section for a portion of Earth's crust is shown below. Letter A is a location in a rock layer, and line XY represents a fault. Which of these events occurred most recently at this location?
A. deposition of the layer at A
B. igneous intrusion
C. contact metamorphism
D. faulting along line XY
7. The diagram below represents a rock consisting of granite pebbles and sand grains cemented together. How does the age of the granite pebbles compare to the age of the rock itself?
A. The pebbles are younger than the rock
B. The pebbles are older than the rock
C. The pebbles are the same age as the rock
D. The relative age of the pebbles cannot be determined
8. The field map below shows isoline measurements of volcanic ash suspended in the troposphere above the Pacific Ocean region. Which statement best explains why the atmosphere over region Z has considerably less volcanic ash than other areas?
A. The equatorial regions have low rainfall, and region Z is close to sources fo volcanic ash.
B. The equatorial regions have low rainfall, and region Z is far from sources of volcanic ash.
C. The equatorial regions have high rainfall, and region Z is farm from sources of volcanic ash.
D. The equatorial regions have high rainfall, and region Z is close to sources of volcanic ash.
9. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables. The fossil shown below was found in the surface bedrock in New York State. In which landscape region was this fossil most likely found?
10. In order for an organism to be used an an index fossil, the
organism must have been geographically widespread and must have:
A. Adirondack Mountains
B. Erie-Ontario Lowlands
C. Hudson Highlands
D. Newark Lowlands