Answer each question by selecting the correct blue button. Only the first answer selected is graded.
1. The diagram below shows a portion of a stream. The sand bars formed as a direct result of:
2. Dynamic equilibrium between erosion and deposition in a river
exists when the amount of deposition is:
A. erosion due to a decrease in stream velocity
B. erosion due to an increase in stream velocity
C. deposition due to a decrease in stream velocity
D. deposition due to an increase in stream velocity
4. The graph below shows the relationship between particle shape and settling rate. Which statement best describes the relationship between them?
5. The chief agent of erosion on Earth is:
A. Flatter particles settle more slowly than rounded particles
B. Flatter particles settle faster than rounded particles
C. All particles settle at the same speed
D. Particle shape does not affect settling rate
7. Base your answer to the following question on the block diagram below, which shows some of the landscape features formed as the most recent continental glacier melted and retreated across western New York State. The shape of elongated hills labeled drumlins is most useful in determining the:
8. Which occurs as a stream is gradually uplifted?
A. age of the glacier
B. direction of glacial movement
C. thickness of the glacial ice
D. rate of glacial movement
9. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the profile shown below. The profile shows the pattern of horizontal sorting produced at a particular time when a sediment-laden stream enters the ocean. Why is this pattern of horizontal orting produced?
A. Sediments with a flatter shape settle faster
B. Lower density particles settle faster
C. Dissolved minerals are deposited first
D. Larger particles are deposited first
10. Base your answer to the following question on the graph below, which shows the average yearly temperature and average yearly precipitation for Earth locations A through E. Which location has the climatic conditions necessary for the greatest amount of chemical weathering to occur?
A. Choice (A)
B. Choice (B)
C. Choice (C)
D. Choice (D)