1. A student reads about a diamond sample that came from South Africa, and
determines that it was man-made. Which of the following statements would be
the sample is organic
the sample is a mineral
the sample is has Silicon and Oxygen
the sample is not a mineral
2. A student reads about a diamond sample that came from South Africa, and
determines that it formed naturally. Which of the following statements would
3. A student collects a sample of an igneous rock and determine that it has
coarse crystals. These coarse crystals range in sizes from 1mm to 10mm. What
inference can be determined from her laboratory analysis?
the igneous rock solidified extrusively (Volcanic).
the igneous rock formed at the bottom of the ocean.
the igneous rock solidified intrusively (Plutonic).
the igneous rock cooled quickly during solidification.
4. A student observes a boulder, and determines that the boulder is composed
of rounded fragments (pebbles and cobbles) consisting of limestone, basalt,
granite, marble, quartz and calcite. What kind of rock is it?
5. How are metamorphic rocks different than other rocks?
they have an organic origin that resulted in fossils forming
they contain only light mafic and felsic minerals
they form by heat and pressure
minerals are compacted and cemented together