Answer each question by selecting the correct blue button. Only the first answer selected is graded.1. Which mineral is white or colorless, has a hardness of 2.5, and splits with cubic cleavage?
4. Base your answer to the following question on Moh's mineral hardness scale and on the chart below showing the approximate hardness of some common objects. The hardness of these minerals is most closely related to the:
A. mineral's color
B. mineral's abundance in nature
C. amount of iron the mineral contains
D. internal arrangement of the mineral's atoms
5. Base your answer to the following question on the rock sample shown below. The rounded pebbles of this rock have been cemented together to form:
6. Large deposits of rock gypsum and rock salt usually form in
A. granite, and igneous rock
B. conglomerate, a sedimentary rock
C. siltstone, a sedimentary rock
D. Weiss, a metamorphic rock
7. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the index fossil diagram below. This index fossil was found in surface bedrock in New York State. The surface bedrock in which this index fossil was found is most likely composed of:
D. anthracite coal
8. Base your answer to the following question on the Earth Science Reference Tables and the block diagram shown below. The diagram shows a cross section of Earth's crust. Letter A identifies a lake, and letters B through G represent different types of bedrock. Rock B is a dark-colored crystalline rock that formed when a lava flow cooled and solidified quickly on the surface of Earth. Rock B is classified as an:
9. Which processes change sedimentary rocks into metamorphic rocks?
A. extrusive igneous rock with a coarse texture and felsic composition.
B. extrusive igneous rock with a fine texture and a mafic composition
C. intrusive igneous rock with a coarse texture and a felsic composition
D. intrusive igneous rock with a fine texture and a mafic composition
10. The geologic cross section below shows limestone that was intruded. Part of the limestone (zone A) was heated intensely but not melted. Which type of rock most likely formed in zone A?