Answer each question by selecting the correct blue button. Only the first answer selected is graded.1. During which era did the initial opening of the present-day Atlantic Ocean most likely occur?
4. The maps below show the amount of sea ice surrounding the continent of Antarctica at two different times of the year. Map A represents late August when the area covered by sea ice approaches its greatest extent. Map B represents the minimum extent of sea ice. Which month is most probably represented by map B?
5. Base your answer on the diagram below, which shows sunlight entering a room through the same window at three different times on the same day. This room is located in a building in New York State. On which side of the building is the window located?
6. The diagram below represents a naturally occurring geologic process. Which process is best illustrated by the diagram?
7. Base your answer on the map below. The map shows an imaginary continent on Earth. Arrows represent prevailing wind directions. Letters A through D represent locations on the continent. Locations A and B are at the same latitude and at the same elevation at the base of the mountains. Over the course of a year, compared to location B, location A will have:
A. less precipitation and a smaller temperature range
B. less preciptitation and a greater temperature range
C. more precipitation and a smaller temperature range
D. more precipitation and a greater temperature range
8. The temperature below shows the types of electromagnetic energy given off by the Sun. The shaded part of the diagram shows the appropriate amount of each type actually reaching Earth's surface. Which conclusion is best supported by the diagram?
A. All types of electromagnetic energy reach Earth's surface
B. Gamma rays and X-rays make up the greatest amount of electromagnetic energy reaching Earth's surface
C. Visible light makes up the greatest amount of electromagnetic energy reaching Earth's surface
D. Ultraviolet and infrared radiation make up the greatest amount of electromagnetic energy reaching Earth's surface
9. Specific mass extinction of living organisms and global climatic changes in geologic history are inferred by most scientists to have caused by:
A. impact of asteroids or large meteors on Earth's surface
B. the gravitational pull of the Sun on Earth's surface
C. large energy surges from the surface of the Sun
D. earthquakes occuring along crustal plate boundaries
10. Base your answer on the Earth Science Reference Tables, the map and cross-section below and your knowledge of Earth science. The shaded areas on the map represent regions of the United States that have evaporite layers (layers of rock formed from the evaporation of sea-water) under the surface bedrock. The cross-section shows the generalized structure of the area in which the evaporite layers are found in New York State. These evaporite deposits could be composed of which mineral?
A. garnet and pyroxene
B. mica and feldspar
C. hornblend and olivine
D. halite and gypsum